Thursday, July 24, 2008

We spotted the ocean...

What a wonderful TTWS song. We got back this afternoon from our Vacation #2 to Crystal Beach. This is going to be a serious post I guess. Last night I couldn't sleep, so I decided to go sit out on the balcony of the beach house and watch the waves and spend some time with God. It was amazing. As soon as I sat down, I started talking to Him about all the stuff that was going on, and He quickly interrupted me. See, usually I feel like I have to talk for a little while to God before He'll start talking to me. Last night, He was basically saying, "I've been waiting for you, Jenni, and I really want to talk to you. Could you just listen for a minute?" Immediately, He was speaking. And sometimes I can't really tell if it's Him or what I want Him to say, but it was unquestionably Him, and I thought I'd share some of it.

We spent Tuesday at the beach with some inner tubes. We'd walk down a ways and go into the water. Our goal was to get on the other side of where the waves were breaking so that we could just ride the easy waves back to where our group was. This proved to be much, much harder than I thought. The breaking waves were rough--you'd take a step and then they'd knock you back 3. Kaleb came up with a jump-jump-run method where you'd jump the waves then run hard so you could get as far as possible before the next set came in. Some times we made it to the other side, some times we didn't. It was fun, but it was tough. Getting smacked in the face with nasty water isn't always pleasant. But once you got past those breaking waves, it was smooth sailing. The water just carried you over it. You didn't have to worry about getting knocked over or anything. It was peaceful and wonderful.

While I was watching the waves crashing on the shore last night, God used them to show me how that's exactly what life is like. It's so easy to get caught up in the nasty water of life...drama and gossip and depression and whatever else is bogging you down...that we don't think we can handle it. But at the same time, we just stay there because maybe we don't realize what's on the other side of it. It's hard work, but if we can just get passed all of it, passed the point where everything breaks, then our ride will be so much smoother, calm, relaxing, peaceful. And of course it isn't always like that...there are still those really tall waves that you just can't get over before they smack you, and sometimes the waves carry you back past the breaking point again, but then at least you've had a taste of the smooth waters, and you know what you're working back to get to. God just really spoke to me through all of this. He wants me to get past all the junk that happens that's so superficial so I can focus on things that matter--namely: Him. I am so thankful that He shared this with me. I don't like sand, but I sure love the ocean.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love this! What a beautiful picture of what God wants to do in our lives...if we will just LET Him! Thanks for sharing His insights!